The European Commission's Innovation Radar analysed innovation ‘ PM and Nanoparticle Monitoring Station’ developed by the NanoExplore...
Safe by Design of nanomaterials in industrial production processesVirtual
The symposia will highlight practical approaches for risk prevention and safety management in laboratories and production sites using nanomaterials, on the basis of a Safe by Design (SbD) approach, integrating safety since the early stages of product and process development.
SbD is a cornerstone of current and future R&I policies in Europe for the development, production and use of chemicals, materials and products. As set in the recent EU Chemical Strategy for Sustainability, specific SbD and sustainability criteria will be developed and used to facilitate access of safe innovations to funding opportunities and to the market.
Nanomaterials provide an exemplar of initial implementation of SbD. The symposia will discuss approaches and experiences from research organizations and companies in implementing SbD in development and production processes of nanomaterials and nano-related products.
Key questions addressed in the symposia will include: How to put SbD in practice in industrial processes? What do innovators need from the (safety) research community (i.e., data, guidelines, training, tools, etc.)? What tools may help innovators in the application of SbD procedures (i.e., designing, implementing, testing, regulations, etc.)?
The symposium is open to both innovators and risk managers in research organizations, companies, institutions and other organizations active and interested in the safety and sustainability of nano-related products. Contributions will be given by the EU projects SbD4Nano, ASINA, SAbyNA, SABYDOMA and Gov4Nano.
Main organizer: ART-ER, project SbD4Nano
Chair: Elisabetta Toschi, ART-ER and SbD4Nano project
- Intro from the chair: the SbD projects (5-10 min)
- Andrea Porcari, Airi and Gov4Nano
Needs and initiatives for risk governance and SbD approaches for nanomaterials (5-10 min)
- Blanca Suarez Merino, Temasol and Gov4Nano (10 min)
- Implementation of Safety by Design. Lessons learnt from the Nanotechnology sector
- Lorenzo Calabri, ART-ER and SbD4Nano
- The SbD4Nano case studies structure, and path way to support SMEs (10 min)
- Stefano Manfredini e Silvia Vertuani, Ambrosialab Srl, University of Ferrara and SbD4Nano
- The use of nanomaterials and SbD approaches in the cosmetic sector (10 min)
- Ivonne Tonani Tomasoni, Red of View Srl and ASINA project
Nanostructured capsules delivering active phases in cosmetics (10 min)
Brain-storming session: needs, tools and practices for SbD implementation in companies